How to Sharpen Meat Grinder Blades?
A meat grinder is one of the useful tools we make use of at home. Like the pan, it is overused with all the meat grinding we do like deer meat, bison, antelope etc. I think you have a machine for mincing meat but your machine do not borrow too much. So probably you have a questions how do we sharpen meat grinder blades?
Even the sharpest of blades can become dull with constant use. And there are only a few in the market who renders the service of sharpening blades. Plus the fact that it can cost a lot of money.
No need to fret!
You can sharpen your own meat grinder blades in the comfort of your home. And this will definitely save you a lot of money.
Just follow these easy steps and you are on your way to having a good as new meat grinder blades.
First thing to do is to gather all the materials you will need before you start sharpening your meat grinder blades.
Materials you will need:
Once you have gathered all the materials you will be using. It’s time to prepare your work area.
Preparing your work area:
- Find a solid flat surface to lay your mirror or sheet of glass on.
- · Wipe the surface of the mirror/sheet of glass with a wet cloth.
- Lay the 120 grit sandpaper on top of the mirror/sheet of glass - make sure it is the same size as the surface – with the
water holding it in place.
Now that your work area is ready the next thing to do is to dismantle your meat grinder.
Dismantling your meat grinder:
- Using the correct tool, gently remove the meat grinder blades from its fastener (make sure to remember where each part was
removed so it will be easy for you to put it back on correctly)
- Get a piece of paper and a marker and label each
part with a number so that it will be easier for you to put it back in the proper order. Unless the parts have numbers etched on them then putting them back together would be as easy as 1-2-3
- Get a cloth to wipe away any scrap of meat left on the grinder blades.
Now you are ready to begin sharpening your meat grinder blade!
Sharpening your meat grinder blade:
- First things first! Safety is the number one rule when sharpening your own meat grinder blade – make sure to wear a workman’s glove. This is done to keep your hands safe from any untoward incidents such as accidental cuts. The gloves will also give you a firmer grip.
- Next thing to do is to test the blades first by using it to slice a piece of scrap paper. This is done to see how much time you need in sharpening the meat grinder blade. You then repeat this after you have sharpened the blade to see if the blade is sharp enough and if the procedure worked.
- Now press the blade on to the sandpaper at a 45 degree angle and move it on the surface of the sandpaper in a circular or figure eight motion. This is to make sure that the edges of the blade are sharpened uniformly.
- Continue the process by moving the blade on the sandpapered surface at least 10 times or when you have reached your desired sharpness.
- Once you are done with the whole process, again get a cloth to wipe away any hint of particles that were produced during the sharpening process.
- If you want a cleaner and smoother finish to your blade, replace the 120 grit sandpaper on your mirror/sheet of glass with the 600 grit sandpaper – make sure to cut it the same size as your surface.
- Again press the blade at a 45 degree angle on your surface and move it across in a circular or figure eight motion until the meat grinder blades are well sharpened.
- Once you are satisfied with the sharpness of your meat grinder blade, wash the blades making sure there are no hint of dust particles and then let it stand to dry.
- Once the blades are all dried up, you are now ready to re-assemble it. Make sure to follow the correct way of putting it back together by following the numbers.