People love their recliners because it feels like a safe haven for them. Your recliner is a place where you can relax with a book, watch a game, cuddle with a pet or fall asleep in at the right time.
This made recliners a comfort zone for people and as such, it tends to be over used. If your favorite recliner has been used thoroughly and sustained some injuries due to over use, do not throw it away rather call furniture repair man.
There are many issues that you may face while using a recliner.
A broken mechanism:
This is the worst thing that can happen to a recliner. It incapacitates the entire recliner but since the mechanism of your recliner is usually covered by a warranty, you can look up the manufacturer.
Repeatedly slamming down on the footrest of your recliner usually results in the breaking of the footrest at the long run.
Collapsed Seating Area:
When the springs of your recliner are designed to be over high when you flop yourself down repeatedly, the entire seating area will surely buckle under. This means that the spring of your recliner has broken apart from the frame.
In this article, we are concentrating more on how to repair the footrest of your recliner when it breaks down. The footrest of every recliner is an important part of the chair hence it brings the support that you need to achieve the optimal relaxation.
The footrest serves as a supporter which enhances the rate of comfort you can derive from your recliner.
Therefore if you have a broken down recliner footrest, follow the procedures in this write-up to help you with the repair.
- The first thing to do when you want to repair the footrest of your recliner is to extend the recliner and flip it over. This action will help you to have access to the underside of your recliners footrest. When you have done this, you will then be in the position to check out the screws and tighten or replace them.
- The next thing to do is to tighten the screws with the appropriate screwdriver or change the whole screws entirely. you can use a socket set for this task.
- Totally change any of the screws with screws that are a bit longer than the former one. Remember not to use screws that are too long as this will result in driving out the screw at the top of the footrest. Screws with the appropriate length will smoothly go through the solid wood to hold the footrest more tightly. You should also tighten the bracket of the footrest with new screws to make sure that they are strong and then turn the recliner upright.
If the problem with your footrest is among the following problems follow these corresponding instructions accordingly;
If your footrest is stuck up in a position
- Use the lubricant WD40
- Turn the recliner over so as to gain access to the bottom of the footrest. Then proceed to lose the screws attached to the metal wooden frame.
- Cover the bottom of the cushion with a rag or cloth so that it will not be stained by the lubricant.
- Apply the WD40 on all the joints.
- Then exercise the handle again to see if it is still stiff or will release the footrest.
- Take an additional 3-in-1 oil and apply it on the each of the joints to make sure that they are well-lubricated always.
- Turn the recliner over once more and try out the footrest to see if the problem is solved.
If all your footrest needs is adjustment to unstuck
- Again turn the recliner over so that you can pinpoint the ratchet that locked the footrest.
- Bring out the bar which is attached to the ratchet and the seat front; remove the pins and spring to disassemble it.
- As the ratchet is undone, test the footrest to see if it will still remain locked or go up and down.
If your footrest refuses to lock in place
- Flip your recliner over
- Check the mechanism to see if the spring is still working.
- If the spring is broken or over stretched, replace it with a new one so that the tension can come back to the mechanism of the recliner.
Tools for the job
- Screw driver
- Rag or disposable cloth
- Spare parts
Following the above steps will save you the cost of getting an outside help. So the next time your recliner breaks down, fix it yourself.
Watch This Video :