When the weather is nice outside, it's pretty hard to resist a good barbecue and picnic, or even a tailgate from time to time. Something about the smell of the fire and the smoked food really just gets your mouth watering, and it goes perfectly with the warm weather and pool parties. Every once in a while you want something more than just a boring regular grill for your barbecue, though. Sometimes, when you are craving that juicy, fall off the bone meat, you want to make your meal in the smoker instead. For those occasions, we have rounded up a list of the best smoker grill options.
The best smoker grill options are perfect for times when you would rather let the meat be slow cooked instead of quickly charred on the grill. Especially when you want good Southern ribs or some tender brisket, a best smoker grill will be ideal for your needs. In order for you to understand why you may want a smoker and which one, we answer a few questions and then compare a list of quality best smoker grill options for you.
1. What Is a Smoker Grill?
Unlike your regular charcoal grill, which uses the flame to directly cook your meat at a high temperature on some sort of metal grate, smoker grills cook your meat using indirect heat caused from burning wood in the grill.
2. How Do Smoker Grills Work?
Smoker grills actually cook your meat for longer periods of time at lower temperatures. The wood that is burned in the grill releases smoke and heat, and these indirectly go through the grill and smoke the meat you're cooking. While you wait, the reaction helps the meat to become really tender and juicy.
3. What Foods Should You Make in a Smoker Grill?
You can make lots of things in smoker grills! As far as meats go, it's ideal to use tougher meats that will break down and tenderize nicely in your smoker. You won't recognize them by the time they're done cooking! You can also cook any other meats in your smoker, including choices like salmon. In fact, you can throw vegetarian options in there as well to get that delightful smoked taste. For instance, macaroni and cheese is delicious fresh out of the smoker. The best smoker grill will enable you to cook tons of different recipes and enable you to make tasty meals while the weather is warm.
4. Where Can You Buy Smoker Grills?
You can purchase smoker grills at home supply stores such as Home Depot. You can also buy them at larger supermarkets like Target. If you would rather order your smoker grill online, you can order it from Amazon. You can also order it directly from the website of the brand of your choosing.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed these best smoker grill options by searching far and wide and reading tons of best of lists to have models to compare to each other. We also remained unbiased and read tons of user reviews so that we would be able to see how real users felt about each of these smoker grills. We compare them for you and list the features, pros, cons, and prices of each best smoker grill so that you will be able to make an informed decision about which best smoker grill is right for you and your family.
Overall Price Range of This Product (and Similar Products)
The lower price range of these smoker grills were around $200 - $300. The higher price range of these smoker grills ran anywhere from $600 - $800.
What We Reviewed
Masterbuilt 20050211 Black Propane Smoker
- Extra-large capacity with 2,000 sq. in. of cooking space on four chrome smoking racks
- Dual-door design with viewing window and thermostat in top door
- Two 8,250 BTU stainless steel burners with push-button ignition
This smoker is built for everything to be easy, sleek, and convenient to cook in. There are legs that raise it to a comfortable height and an easy push button ignition so you don't have to fight with it.
Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker
- Porcelain-enameled lid, bowl, and center section retain heat and won’t rust or peel
- Two cooking grates provide ample room for smoking two large items at once
- Silicone temperature grommet monitors the internal temperature of your smoker
This smoker had countless amazing reviews praising its ability to produce perfect tender meat immediately upon usage. Over time, of course, smokers taste even better, but users gave great reviews about being able to figure this one out and perfecting their meat.
Masterbuilt 20075315 Front Controller Smoker
- Digital panel and RF remote control on/off, temperature, time, and light; monitors internal meat temperature
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks
- Patented side wood chip loading system – add chips without opening the smoker door
This smoker is great for anyone who wants a simple smoking experience. There's a digital panel so you can control it from afar, and there are lights inside this more modern design for a smoker.
Bradley Smoker BTDS108P 990223 Bradley Digital 6 Rack Smoker
This digital smoker allows you to control everything using buttons, from the length of time your food is cooking in the smoker to the temperature at which it smokes. You can even pick from different hardwood flavors with this smoker!
Masterbuilt 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker
- 1,400 watt heating element with two chrome coatedsmoking racks
- Simple controls with high, medium and lowsettings
- Easy-to-read temperature gauge on door,removable wood chip tray and water pan
This small smoker is great for anyone trying to bring their smoked food on the go. If you want an option for tailgating or picnics, or even just want something that isn't so bulky, this option is perfect for you.
PK Grills PK360-BTTX-D Teak Shelf Edition
- Four Vents Are Better Than Two - PK360 excels at both hot and fast (grilling) or low and slow (barbecue) cooking...
- Durable Aluminum Construction - PK360s cast aluminum construction is more durable than porcelain kamados and...
- The Key to Great BBQ Is Temperature Management - PK360s combination of thick cast aluminum and 4-point venting...
This grill is for no amateur to smoking. For any chef who always feels cramped in their workplace, this best smoker grill has two large fold out shelves for you to work with. You can also detach it if you'd rather take advantage of its portability.
Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker
- 314 square inches of primary cooking space, warming rack 133 square inches for a total of 447 square inches
- Insulated design means more heat uses less charcoal and less airflow means insulated heat for juicy meat and...
- Cooking surface is cast iron, Body is constructed of 22 gauge steel, Exterior finish is powder coated steel,...
This grill provides tons of cooking space so that you can really feed a crowd with your barbecuing skills. With 314 square inches on the main grill plus an additional 133 square inches of cooking space for the warming rack, you will have tons of room for all of your smoking ingredients.
Camp Chef PG24DLX Deluxe Pellet Grill and Smoker BBQ
This easy to assemble pellet smoker has an enormous 570 square inches for you to grill or smoke on. In fact, this design allows you to use this grill in all types of ways, so you are not just restrained to a typical smoker grill.
Cuisinart CPG-4000 Wood BBQ Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Free weather resistant grill cover included in purchase. This cover is the perfect combination of durability and...
- Enjoy the wood pellet BBQ grill & smoker's large 450 Square inch cooking area and 15 pounds of hopper capacity
- Super versatile! Grill, smoke, roast, braise, barbecue and even bake
This pellet grill and smoker again provides tons of cooking surface for you and your needs, regardless of whether you choose to grill, smoke, braise, bake or more. It also has convenient features like wheels and a handle so you can move it with you.
Grills ZPG-450A 2018 Upgrade Model, Wood Pellet Smoker
- Ultimate 6-in-1-- barbecue wood fire pellet grill: bbqbakeroastbraisesmokegrill
- Fan-forced Convection cooking-eliminates the need for a rotisserie and creates a versatile environment for...
- 2019 UPGRADE--Temperature and Pellet Feed Control System. The new upgrade digital control board auto ignites the...
This wood pellet smoker gives 450 square inches of grilling surface along with a side shelf for you to have space. It also has the ability to cook your meals in 7 different ways so that you never get bored with your food.
The Verdict - Best Smoker Grill
Now that you know quite a bit about smoker grills and the different options available out there on the market today, you probably have an idea of what sort of best smoker grill you would purchase for yourself and your needs. We have determined that our overall best smoker grill choice was the Bradley Smoker BTDS108P 990223 Bradley Digital 6 Rack Smoker.
The price of this smoker grill is middle of the road. This smoker also has the incredible ability to take your meat in 9 different hardwood flavor directions. With six racks for cooking, you also don't have to worry about feeling cramped for space. And for those who want to take the guesswork out of knowing the temperature of their meat cooking, there is a built-in digital thermometer. It's no wonder with so many features this grill would be our pick for best smoker grill.
After reading about the many different smoker grill options and tender, juicy meat, we're sure you're ready to go purchase your best smoker grill option today! Few would argue that the sooner the barbecue, the better!
image source: Unsplash