A sofa bed is a wonderful thing. In just a few minutes you can transform it from comfy couch to bed. With a sleeper sofa, you can transform a living room, den, or study into a guest room at the drop of a hat. This is particularly useful if you are short on space. If you are thinking of purchasing a sofa bed, then read on! We have assembled a list of some of the best sleeper sofa beds just for you.
1. What Should I Consider Before Buying a Sleeper Sofa?
When you have to buy a sofa bed, you should consider where you will put the sofa bed and how much space you have. You should consider whether it will be in regular use or only used occasionally. You will also need to consider your budget and how much you can afford to spend. Finally, you should think about what type of sofa bed you want to buy.
2. What Types of Sofa Beds Are There?
The main types of sofa beds are sofa style and futon style. Sofa style sleeper sofas have a secondary mattress hidden underneath the mattress cushions which folds out when the bed is in use. Futon style sleeper sofas have a cushion base which reclines to form a flat mattress.
3. What Is the Best Sleeper Sofa?
The best sleeper sofa will be the one that best fits your needs, and the sofa that is best for one person may not be suitable for another. We hope that the range of sleeper sofas featured below will have sofa beds to suit every taste and budget.
How We Reviewed
To help you find the best sleeper sofa beds, we have reviewed the features of each sofa bed, their pros and cons, their price, and their dimensions. We have also provided links to websites from which you may purchase the products if you so wish.
Overall Price Range of this Product (and Similar Products)
In this list of the best sleeper sofa beds, the prices ranged between affordable to very expensive. However, the majority of the sofa beds were priced between affordable price and more than average price.
What We Reviewed
- Mainstays Sleeper Loveseat
- Modern Sofa Bed Sleeper by Emily
- Ashley Furniture Signature Design – Larkinhurst Sofa
- LLC Loveseat Sleeper
- Alex’s New Sofa Sleeper Black Convertible Couch
- Minter Upholstered Sleeper Sofa
- Sleeper Sofa Bed by Better Homes & Gardens
- DHP Delaney Sofa Sleeper
- Memory Foam Sleeper Sofa by Mainstays
- Memory Foam Sleeper Sofa by Mainstays
- Mechali Sleeper Convertible
- Simmons Upholstery Queen Sleeper Sofa
- Rivet Revolve Modern Sofa Bed
- Divano Roma Furniture Collection
- Best Choice Products Living Room Convertible
- Ashley Furniture Signature Design – Darcy Sleeper Sofa – Full Size
Mainstays Sleeper Loveseat
- Space-saving sleeper sofa; seating by day, sleeper by night
- Foam seat and back cushions
- Features a rich faux leather finish
This sleeper sofa has two seats and folds out into a twin sized bed with memory foam mattress. The sofa is available in grey.
36 inches high, 54 inches wide, 30 inches deep.
- Requires no assembly on arrival
- Looks good
- Opens up easily
- Sofa seat firm
- Mattress may be flimsy
- May show wear quickly
- Back cushions not removable
Modern Sofa Bed Sleeper by Emily
- Modern look and design in stylish linen or faux leather upholstery with chrome metal legs, tufted backrest and...
- Multi-functional piece ideal for small living spaces. Split-back design allows for multiple positions: converts...
- Pair with the matching chair and chaise longer for a complete look (all sold separately)
This faux leather futon style sofa bed has a modern look and was designed to be comfortable both when sitting and sleeping. The sofa comes in two pieces which can be easily assembled to make the bed. It is available in Vanilla White or in Black and has chrome legs. Potential buyers should note that this is not a standard bed size, so it may be difficult to buy appropriately sized sheets for the bed.
33 inches high, 76.5 inches long, 34 inches wide.
- Modern look
- Easy to assemble
- Only moderately comfy
- Not a standard bed size
Ashley Furniture Signature Design – Larkinhurst Sofa
- Pocketed Coil Seating
- No-Tool Easy Assembly
- Upholstery Grade Woven Polyester Fabric
This simple sleeper sofa is made with a sturdy wooden frame and smooth linen upholstery. The cushions are filled with foam which is guaranteed not to release harmful chemicals. The sofa folds out into a twin size memory foam mattress. The sofa is available in gray and a bright navy blue. The Jovit aSleeper loveseat may be the best sleeper sofa for those on a budget.
35.5 inches high, 54 inches wide, 32.5 inches deep.
- Quality design
- Sofa is rather small
Alex’s New Sofa Sleeper Black Convertible Couch
- EXCLUSIVELY WeAreCheaper! ; Items in this bundle may ship in more than one box and arrive separately.
- Split seat and back
- Contemporary design upholstered in soft, black suede fabric
This is a modern looking sofa that pulls out into a twin sized bed. Some users reported that the mattress is rather thin and that they used a secondary mattress pad to make it more comfortable. This sleeper sofa is made of a classy looking faux leather and is available in chocolate brown, black, or gray.
36 inches high, 54 inches wide, 30 inches deep.
- Comfy sofa
- Not very comfy bed
- Cannot be shipped to some states
Minter Upholstered Sleeper Sofa
The Minter sleeper sofa easily transforms from a sofa to a bed that will comfortably sleep two people. This sofa is available in Gray, Mocha, Sage, Dark Brown, Black, and Crimson Red, and comes with two matching throw cushions.
36.5 inches high, 89 inches wide, 37 inches deep.
- Sleeps two
- Available in lots of colors
- May sag in the middle over time
Sleeper Sofa Bed by Better Homes & Gardens
This futon style sofa bed offers a comfy but firm full sized mattress which converts easily from sitting to sleeping modes. The sofa bed frame needs some simple assembly on arrival, but this should not be difficult for most users. The futon mattress comes in a wide range of colors. It may be the best sleeper sofa for both price and sleeping comfort.
38 inches high, 82 inches wide, 39 inches deep.
- Very comfy
- Very inexpensive
- Mattress buttons may pop off during use
DHP Delaney Sofa Sleeper
- Foam and polyester layering between cover and coils offer optimal comfort and support. 6" coil futon mattress with...
- Fits any standard full-sized futon frame
- Foam in this mattress is made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants, ozone depleters, mercury,...
This multifunctional sofa sleeper is available in faux leather, finished in black or brown with contrast stitching. The sofa should be easy to maintain and keep clean, but users seem to be less than enthusiastic as to its potential as a good bed. If you decide to purchase this bed, you may wish to get an extra mattress pad to go on top of the futon for sleeping.
29 inches high, 69 inches wide, 32.5 inches deep.
- Good for sitting
- Faux leather may peel after several years of use
- Less comfy for sleeping
- Quality not very high
Memory Foam Sleeper Sofa by Mainstays
- Memory foam provides good support
- Converts from sofa to sleeper in seconds
- Sturdy wood frame and metal legs
This is another futon style sofa bed. It quickly converts from sofa to bed and comes in a wide range of colors and materials. It contains memory foam but is still rather firm feeling. Users report that it is of good quality and feels sturdy, but that it might be a bit small if you are tall.
32.5 inches high, 71.7 inches wide, 33.5 inches deep.
- Sturdy construction
- Contains memory foam
Mechali Sofa Sleeper Convertible
- Perfect for small spaces, apartments, dorm rooms. Easily changes from a comfortable couch to a sofa sleeper.
- Perfect for any age, however in high demand for elderly folks who have in home nurses that sleep over.
- 3 seat function as a sofa, lounger , bed
This convertible sofa is available in two sizes: twin and queen. The smaller size is perfect for smaller spaces, and the larger ideal if you want a larger sofa or the capacity to sleep more guests. The sofas can also serve a third function as a lounger. The sofa requires some assembly on delivery but users report that this is very straightforward.
Twin Sofa: 38 inches high, 51.5 inches wide, 36 inches deep.Queen Sofa: 38 inches high, 73 inches wide, 38 inches deep.
- Multiple sizes available
- Easily convertible
- Only available in gray
- Require some assembly
Simmons Upholstery Queen Sleeper Sofa
- Sinuous wire springs and high-density foam Seat Cushions for comfortable seating
- Beauty Rest pocketed Coil seating, and reversible Seat Cushions
- Queen hide-a-bed with enhanced innerspring mattress
This sofa is more traditionally styled than others on this list, upholstered in faux leather with metal accents. The sleeper sofa features an enhanced foam twin sized mattress which users report as being rather firm.
39 inches high, 39 inches wide, 66 inches deep.
- Enhanced foam mattress
- Relatively small
Rivet Revolve Modern Sofa Bed
- You'll look forward to coming home to this modern sectional sofa, though it may tempt you to sneak more naps. The...
- Sofa only: 34.6"D x 79.9"W x 35.4"H Sofa and ottoman: 62.2"D x 79.9"W x 35.4"H
- Sturdy hardwood frame and solid beech wood legs
This sofa bed is constructed with a wooden frame and comfort with a sleek contemporary design. On arrival, the sofa’s legs will need attaching, but this is the limit of assembly required. The sofa is available in Blue, Gray, Beige, and Black.
35.4 inches high, 69.7 inches wide, 36.6 inches deep.
- Comfy sofa and bed
- Range of colors
- Minimal assembly required
- Relatively expensive compared to others surveyed
Divano Roma Furniture Collection
- Modern mid century sofa in various colors - Includes 2 bolster side pillows and 2 square pillows in the same fabric
- Soft hand picked linen fabric in tufted button design for a touch of sophistication while still giving your living...
- Some assembly required: Measures - Overall: 75"W x 29"D x 26"H inches, Seat Cushion: 66"W x 22"D inches
This modern styled futon sofa bed features a split back, meaning that it can be adjusted to different levels of recline at different points. The sofa is upholstered in soft linen and is available in a range of exciting colors such as turquoise, orange, and purple, making it a nice change from the usual black, gray, navy, and beige.
31 inches high, 77 inches wide, 31 inches deep.
- Fun colors
- Sturdy construction
- Very cheap
- Not very comfortable
Best Choice Products Living Room Convertible
- VERSATILE FURNITURE: The perfect complementary furniture piece for a bedroom, bonus room, apartment, and more, this...
- COMFORTABLE 2-IN-1 DESIGN: Designed with an attractive, tufted upholstery with hypoallergenic filling, it makes for...
- SPLIT BACK: Lounging essential can accommodate 2 positions at once, as one half can recline into a flat position...
Another split-back futon sofa in a range of fun colors, this sofa is slightly more plush and comfortable than the Divano Roma sofa but is available at the same price. Hypoallergenic upholstery and filling should ensure your guests have a good night’s sleep.
33 inches high, 75.5 inches wide, 28 inches deep.
- Not great quality
Ashley Furniture Signature Design – Darcy Sleeper Sofa – Full Size
- COBBLESTONE SOFA SLEEPER: Less is more with this full sofa sleeper. Simple, clean lines in a light neutral color...
- ULTIMATE COMFORT: High-resiliency foam cushions wrapped in thick poly fiber comfort the body. Included bi-fold full...
- CONTEMPORARY STYLE: Contemporary curves take center stage with sloped pillow top armrests and a striking flared...
This ultra-soft sofa folds out into a full sized bed, ideal if you plan to have more than one guest staying with you. The sofa cushions and bed are definitely on the firm side and some assembly is required.
39 inches high, 90 inches wide, 40 inches deep.
- Full sized bed
- Soft upholstery
- May arrive damaged
- May break
- Very firm
The best sleeper sofa for you will be the one that best suits your needs and budget, and there were some very good options on this list. We think the Rivet Revolve is the best sleeper sofa if you want a queen sized bed, the best sleeper sofa with a twin mattress is the Jovita Sleeper Loveseat, and the best sleeper sofa overall is the Sleeper Sofa Bed by Better Homes & Gardens. These were the 3 best sleeper sofa options in our opinion, as they all represented comfy, quality options at budget-friendly prices.