If you are serious about your health and fitness, then you likely already know how important it is to drink enough water every day. I look at it this way. You can either spend a fortune buying bottled water, or you can opt for the cheaper and easier option of finding the best refrigerator water filter.
The Institute of Medicine set the amount of water that you should drink back in 2004. They say that adult men should drink an average of 3.7 liters every day and women should drink around 2.7 liters of water daily
But you don't want to drink contaminated tap water. Yuck! Instead, do your body a big favor and use the best refrigerator water filter.
What Do Refrigerator Water Filters Do?
While we're talking about the best refrigerator water filter options, it's important that you understand what it is that water filters do exactly.
The answer is really pretty simple.
The best refrigerator water filter options remove contaminants from the water by forcing it through activated carbon, which is located inside of the filter. Basically, the carbon acts like a magnet, trapping contaminants, particles, and pollutants. The end result equals clean, healthy drinking water for your family. That's really all there is to it.
However, it is important to note that filters can only remove so many pollutants before you need to replace them. If you don't regularly change it, the filter will be unable to remove harmful substances from your water. Eventually, the carbon will become saturated with contaminants. That means that the water will pass through unfiltered, leaving you with polluted water.
And what's even worse is that as water passes through the overused filter, it can actually dislodge some of the trapped contaminants back into your drinking water.
You don't want that!That's why it's essential that you know how often to change your refrigerator water filter.
How Often Should You Change Your Refrigerator Water Filter?
We recommend that you change your refrigerator water filter every six months. It's important that you know that six months is an average and can vary widely based on certain factors like usage and flow rate expectancy.
If you don't change your water filter every six months, you are allowing unabsorbed water contaminants and bacteria to saturate the filter. That means that it will leak impurities into your drinking water.
Some indicators that you need to change your filter include the water smelling bad, the water tasting bad, or the water pressure gradually decreasing.
Our Review Process
We performed an independent review of the top-selling refrigerator water filters on the market this year. To narrow down our list, we researched professional and consumer reviews. We also compared the features and price of each filter. Our goal is to help you find the best refrigerator water filter for your needs. All of the filters on our list qualify as the best of the best.
Product Comparison Table
The Top 7 Best Refrigerator Water Filter Options of the Year
In no particular order, here are our top seven picks for the best refrigerator water filter this year. It's important that you check for specific compatibility by your refrigerator's model number.
1. General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- GE guaranteed fit: Compatible with select GE side-by-side and bottom-freezer refrigerators
- Premium filtration: Certified to reduce chlorine-resistant cysts, lead, select pharmaceuticals and 15 other...
- Twist and lock design: Simple design provides easy, tool-free, no-mess filter replacement.Max. Filtered Water Flow...
Our first contender for the best refrigerator water filter is by General Electric. This filter is GE's most advanced filtration system, and it is compatible with select GE side-by-side and bottom-freezer refrigerators.
The premium filtration system is certified to reduce chlorine-resistant cysts, lead, some pharmaceuticals, and many other contaminants.
Another thing that you'll love about this filter is that it features a simple twist and lock design. So you can simply and easily change the filter without tools or mess.
This filter has a life of six months. For the best results, you should replace it every 6 months or 300 gallons.
GE also offers a 30-day warranty on this filter.The vast majority of people have great things to say about this filter. But one complaint about it is that people unknowingly bought knock-off filters. You can avoid that problem by always buying directly from Amazon and avoiding third-party sellers.
2. Samsung Refrigerator Water Filter
- Genuine Samsung Water Filter
- Product comes in two package types. See product images for two versions of packaging
- Delivers clean, clear water that looks and tastes great and protects the components of your refrigerator from...
Our next contender for the best refrigerator water filter comes from Samsung. Samsung's filters are guaranteed to reduce contaminants. So you'll be left with nothing but fresh-tasting water.
Another thing that we liked about this one is that Samsung tests and certifies all of its filters.
This filter uses a high-grade carbon block to remove over 99 percent of many potentially harmful contaminants.
The Samsung filter also protects the components of your refrigerator from potential sediment.
Most people have great things to say about this filter. But some complained that the filter leaks.
3. Frigidaire WF2CB Ice & Water Filtration System
- Enjoy fresh tasting water right from the fridge and directly in your glass with the PureSource 2 water filter....
- The PureSource 2 WF2CB is designed with a carbon-based filter to improve your water by removing the odor and taste...
- Take a sip and relax as you let your filter get to work reducing impurities found in common tap water such as lead,...
The next spot on our list of the best refrigerator water filter options goes to Frigidaire. The first thing that we love about this filter is that it is super simple to install. You just slide and click!
This filter is certified to meet NSF/ANSI standards. Frigidaire designed this filter to be used on Frigidaire refrigerators after 2004 that have water filtration systems located in the front right top.
The Frigidaire filter reduces cysts by 99.99 percent. It does an excellent job of filtering out many other toxins too.
The best thing about this filter is that it reduces chlorine taste and odor. It reduces sediment as well. You should replace this filter every nine months.
Most consumers have great things to say about this filter. But some complained that it leaked water into the refrigerator.
4. EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter
- Make sure this fits by entering your refrigerator model number.
- everydrop Filter 1 is the only filter approved by: Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid and JennAir brands.
- Certified to reduce 99% of lead, offering superior contaminant reduction for you and your family.
Another great option for the best refrigerator water filter this year comes from EveryDrop by Whirlpool. This filter is approved by Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, and JennAir brands.
The EveryDrop filter is NSF certified to reduce lead by 99 percent. It also reduces 28 other contaminants, including pesticides, pharmaceuticals, and waterborne parasites. All of that means that your water will taste clean and fresh.
EveryDrop boasts that this filter will replace 1,500 water bottles.
You can use this filter in side-by-side, top-freezer, and bottom-freezer refrigerators that are compatible.
To ensure that you have the cleanest water possible, you should replace this filter every six months.
This filter is the only genuine replacement for the discontinued W10295370A. Most of the reviews for this filter are very positive. However, some complained that it made a grinding noise.
5. Waterdrop Refrigerator Water Filter
- The EDR4RXD1 replacement water filter for whirlpool refrigerator, despite its affordable price, offers the best - a...
- [Advanced filtration process] If you have been looking for a way to reduce harmful impurities from your drinking...
- [Perfect fit] You can now worry less about water leakages due to unfit or loose replacement refrigerator filters....
Our next contender for the best refrigerator water filter comes from Waterdrop. This filter is NSF certified to reduce specific health-related contaminants, which means you'll have cleaner fresher water.
The Waterdrop filter removes 99.6% of lead and 99.99 percent of the cysts. Another thing that we love about this filter is that it reduces the taste and odor of chlorine by 97 percent.
Made of lead-free material, this filter will provide worry-free drinking. The Waterdrop filter will work with Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Sears, and Kenmore refrigerators. Make sure that you check your model number for exact compatibility.
The vast majority of people have great things to say about this filter, many of them commenting that it is superior to all other filters on the market.
6. Pure Green Water Filter Refrigerator Water Filter
- AUTHENTIC NSF 42 CERTIFIED AND WQA TESTED FOR LEAD FREE : Approved and tested by NSF, And WQA the USA Water...
- VERY AFFORDABLE : Instead of grabbing a can of soda or Purchasing Water Bottle, SAVE MONEY, use these MAYTAG...
- COMPATIBLE MAYTAG, PUR, PURICLEAN AND KENMORE FILTERS : Designed to be MAYTAG UKF8001 Filteration, UKF8001AXX...
Our next contender for the best refrigerator water filter comes from Pure Green. This filter uses coconut carbon blocks to absorb contaminants and provide crisp, clear water with incredible taste.
Like the others on our list of the best refrigerator water filter options, this one is NSF certified for pure, clean water.
This filter is compatible with Kenmore, Maytag, PUR, and Puriclean filters. It also features a simple twist and lock design.
You should replace this filter every six months for the cleanest water.Another thing that we love about this filter is that it is backed by a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. If anything goes wrong, Pure Green will take care of it, no questions asked!
People say they can really taste a difference in the water with this filter. However, some complained that the filter didn't last long enough.
7. Aqua Crest Refrigerator Water Filter
- What you get in this AQUACREST refrigerator water filter is an excellent prior filtration performance that stands...
- Excellent filtration beyond your mind: AQUACREST water filters can reduce such a wide range of harmful substances...
- 100% fit: The precise production technology adopted by AQUACREST in this refrigerator water filter means you get a...
Our final contender for the best refrigerator water filter of the year comes from Aqua Crest. NSF-certified, this filter will provide safe, clean drinking water.
The Aqua Crest filter is certified lead-free, and it will reduce the taste and odor of chlorine by 97 percent. And it is compatible with Kenmore and Samsung refrigerators.
You won't have to worry about leaking with this filter either. You can easily replace it with the simple twist on and off design.
One unique thing about this filter is that it uses eco-friendly renewable coconut shells as raw material. That makes it great for the planet!
You should replace this filter every six months.
The Aqua Crest filter gets excellent reviews too. Most people love it, especially because it doesn't leak.
It All Comes down to This
We highly recommend all seven of the best refrigerator water filter picks on our list this year. All of them offer excellent water filtration and will leave you with clean, clear drinking water.
When it comes to the health of you and your family, you dont want to risk drinking contaminated water. Not when all you have to do is to change your refrigerator water filter a couple of times a year.
Now we want to hear from you! Let us know in the comments section below what you think of our list this year. And share with our readers if you have a favorite refrigerator water filter.
Last update on 2021-08-01 at 23:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API