Imagine you’re driving along someplace beautiful. Maybe that beautiful place is the mountains of Scotland for you. Maybe that place looks more like the deserts of Joshua Tree State Park. Regardless, the most worthwhile drives tend to take you to some of the most remote spots. And when your tire pressure fails, you can really be out of luck thanks to your pursuit of beauty. That’s why we carry one of the best portable tire inflators whenever we hit the road.You cannot always predict when your tires will lose pressure. If you’re vigilant with testing your pressure, you might be able to catch a deflating tire early, but the varied environments that an automobile is asked to traverse mean that little consistency can be counted on to estimate the lifespan of your tire pressure. Having one of the best portable tire inflators in your trunk will not only afford you peace of mind, but it will also almost surely come in handy.
The increasingly large number of people living in vans will also recognize the ultimate utility the best portable tire inflators provide. You’re always on the go in van-life (pretty much by definition), and you’re often in new environments where you cannot count on knowing a gas station with a tire pump. Keeping one of the best portable tire inflators on hand will keep you safe and keep your mind at ease.
FAQ About The Best Portable Tire Inflators
But what exactly qualifies a product as one of the best portable tire inflators of 2019? How much do these bits of technology tend to cost? What makes the difference between an inferior and superior product of this type? How can we know which one to buy?
We hope to answer all these questions for you and to equip you with all the facts you need to make an informed decision regarding the purchase of your own portable tire inflator. We want only the best portable tire inflators to be financially rewarded, and we love enabling you to further this process. To that end, it becomes necessary to answer a few of the most frequently asked questions about the best portable tire inflators on the market.
1. What Is A Portable Tire Inflator?
A portable tire inflator is a device for filling your tires with air that is small enough to fit within your vehicle. These can be quite diminutive, especially if they use a 12-volt plugin to power themselves off of your vehicle. Other types that include their own battery reserve tend to be a bit larger, but can be really useful in emergency situations.
2. Who Produces The Best Portable Tire Inflators?
We’ll reveal our favorite at the end of this article, but we will say that the brand reputation and willingness to stand behind their product says a lot. Ultimately, we identified Lifeline, Audew, BLACK+DECKER, Goodyear, EPAuto, JACO, and Kensun as the top brands in this field.
3. What Other Features Come With A Portable Tire Inflator?
Different brands offer different bells and whistles, but in our experience, the essential part of a portable tire inflator is the task light. The best portable tire inflators certainly come with a task light, which greatly enhances your ability to air up in sticky situations. If you always broke down under well-lit conditions, you wouldn’t need an emergency-easing item like the tire inflator.
4. Where Can You Buy The Best Portable Tire Inflators?
Your local auto parts shop should have an example or two of portable tire inflators you can buy. However, if you want one of the best versions, you’ll probably have to find it online. Luckily, everything we’ve listed can be found on Amazon.
5. What If Amazon Sells Out Of The Tire Inflator I Want?
Some of the items on this list have a hard time staying on the shelves. We’d recommend that you add items that are currently out of stock on Amazon to a watch list. Very often you can nab a great deal that way. Otherwise, there are always second-hand sites like eBay that might suit your needs.
How We Reviewed
We compared our list of the 10 best portable tire inflators across a number of factors. We evaluated each of their key features, pros, cons, availability, cost to effectiveness ratio, and their brand reputations and reviews. A portable tire inflator need not be extremely expensive, but we had to make sure each of the models could actually inflate the tires it claimed to be able to.
Overall Price Range of this Product (and Similar Products)
Some of these products can be found for little more than $15. At the high end, you might expect to pay over $50. On average, you can get one of the best portable tire inflators for about $35.
What We Reviewed
- Lifeline AAA 300 PSI 12 Volt DC Air Compressor
- Audew Portable Air Compressor Pump
- BLACK+DECKER ASI300 Air Station Inflator
- Goodyear i8000 120-Volt Direct Drive Tire Inflator
- 12 Volt Inflator
- EPAuto 12V DC Portable Air Compressor Pump
- Digital Tire Inflator for Car W/Pressure Gauge
- JACO SmartPro Digital Tire Inflator Pump
- Kensun AC/DC Rapid Performance Portable Air Compressor Tire Inflator
- P.I. AUTO STORE
- AAA Quality: Inflate a standard spare car tire in 8 minutes with this AAA 300 PSI portable tire inflator. Featuring...
- Convenience: Simply plug the DC power cable into your cigarette lighter socket, attach the quick connect air hose...
- Compact: The 10 ft DC power cable and 1.5 ft quick connect air hose are easily stored inside of the compressor. The...
This tire compressor is triple-A Quality. It can inflate a spare car tire in just 8 minutes. Beyond heavy duty, the compressor has a powerful motor. It is essential to have when traveling for long lengths on the road or even for a quick trip down the road. This is an easy way to prepare for the absolute worst.
- angle-double-right10 ft DC power cable
- angle-double-right1.5 ft quick connection
- angle-double-rightEasily stored
- angle-double-rightNot the smallest
- angle-double-rightMore expensive than other models
- 【Faster Inflating Speed】With 38L/min air flow rate,Audew portable air compressor allows you inflate a tire from...
- 【Auto Shut Off & SOS Light】Audew tire inflator turn off automatically at desired pressure value to avoid...
- 【Long Power Cord & Easy to Store】10ft long cord of Audew tire pump can reach front and rear tires of...
If you don’t mind paying a bit more and you love features, then this is the compressor for you. This compressor has an auto shut off feature so you do not over inflate your tire. This is a great product for newcomers to car maintenance. Now you can do it all.
The compressor also has a digital LED display and LED lights for the customer afraid of the dark. There will be plenty of light next to your new compressor. The tool is multipurpose beyond belief. It has a 10ft power cord and uses 3 different nozzles so you can use the same compressor on all types of tires.
- angle-double-right10ft power cord
- angle-double-rightTons of features
- angle-double-rightDigital display and LED light
- angle-double-rightNot the absolute cheapest
- angle-double-rightNot made for everyone
- High pressure and high-volume outputs
- Digital gauge to view current pressure and set target pressure
- Automatic shut-off stops the unit once the desired pressure is reached
This compressor can inflate anything—well, almost anything. It can inflate lawn mower, bike, and vehicle tires, sports balls, and almost anything else you can think of! The little compressor has a voltage of 120 despite its portable design. You can be on the go and powered up. It also includes a 2-year warranty.
- angle-double-right160 PSI
- angle-double-rightCan inflate anything
- angle-double-right2-year warranty
- angle-double-rightNot the least expensive
- angle-double-rightHigh voltage can be troublesome
This product features a 2-year warranty.
- 18 feet of air hose with quick connect valve and 6 foot power cord makes it extremely easy and hassle-free to reach...
- powerful direct drive motor is extremely quite and virtually vibration free
- includes adapters to inflates nearly anything
This compressor features a large hose, clocking in at around 18 feet. It also has a 6-foot power hose so it can reach even further. The product boasts the vibration-free motor due to the extremely well-designed body. It has a 120-volt direct drive inflator.
- angle-double-right120-volt drive inflator
- angle-double-rightLarge hose
- angle-double-right6-foot power hose
- angle-double-rightMore expensive
- INFLATOR features a user friendly digital interface that allows you to set desired pressure and automatically shuts...
- The powerful motor (100 max PSI) that quickly inflates tires and sporting equipment of all sizes making it the...
- The threaded air hose valve ensures a leak-proof connection during inflation, for consistent results. Boasts a 4...
This Imported compressor has a maximum pressure of 120 PSI, making it a reliable choice for all emergency needs. This model does include an auto-shut-off gauge included for newcomers and experts alike. There is also a bright safety light for night inflation. The product is recommended for everything from car tires to sports balls.
- angle-double-rightSafety light
- angle-double-rightIdeal for many products
- angle-double-rightLess features
- angle-double-rightShorter hose than some
- CONVENIENCE: Plug directly into Cigarette Lighter Socket of your Vehicle. 12VDC, 10 to 15 amps, 120 to 180W....
- MULTIPLE USES: Inflate tires on cars, bikes, sedan and midsize SUV. (Engine size under 3.5 liter) Universal valve...
- Capacity: DOES NOT SUPPORT truck tires, for instance: light truck tires (LT), heavy duty truck tires or any truck...
The compressor made for convenience. You can plug it in directly to the Cigarette Lighter of your Vehicle. Even with this new feature, the product maintains safety standards like the other products. It is recommended for multiple products like cars, bikes, sedans, and mid-size SUVs. The gauge is easy to read with an auto shut off feature included for accuracy. Additionally, it has a very bright torch.
- angle-double-rightBright torch
- angle-double-rightPlugs into cigarette lighter
- angle-double-rightPerfect for convenience
- angle-double-rightNot the cheapest
- angle-double-rightDoesn’t have a power cord
- EASY TO OPERATE – Simple as plugging into your car outlet, attach hose to the tire, set the PSI desired and flip...
- MULTIPLE USES – Included attachments for Sports balls, Air mattress, balloons & other inflatables.
- BUILT WITH YOUR SAFETY IN MIND – Built in LED flashlight helps you be ready for nightime emergencies.
This air compressor is easy to operate for several reasons. You can plug it into the power outlet or into your car. It has an auto shut off feature to keep you safe and an easy to use switch. It is a multi use object, heavy duty with a great, sturdy inflator hose. Built in compliance with safety concern, the compressor has an LED light included.
- angle-double-rightLED light
- angle-double-rightAuto shut off
- angle-double-rightEasy to use switch
- angle-double-rightNot the smallest tire inflator
- angle-double-rightMaybe too easy for some
- Smart Pressure Technology: Simply pre-set the unit to your target PSI level and it will automatically shut off when...
- Precision built-in digital air gauge features a bright LCD backlight display for night time use, measuring 0-100...
- Heavy duty, woven 24" air hose features a unique twist-connect nozzle, ensuring a hands-free, secure seal to the...
This compressor is smarter than your average bear. It has smart pressure technology, shutting off right when you need it to. It has an LCD backlight display for nighttime use and a heavy duty hose for durability. This air compressor is impressive. It can plug directly into the DC volt outlet in your car, and also features a long hose.
- angle-double-rightDC compatible
- angle-double-rightLong hose for use
- angle-double-rightAuto shut off
- angle-double-rightNot available everywhere
- angle-double-rightNot the absolute cheapest
- FAST INFLATION: With Kensun's advanced engineering, the 120W solid metal motor provide superb power, which will...
- AC/DC FOR CAR AND HOME: Kensun’s unique AC/DC switching with 12V car cigarette light plug as well as 110V wall...
- AUTO SHOT-OFF DIGITAL GAUGE: Unit shuts off automatically when preset pressure is reached. Large, bright, back-lit...
If you are in the market for a great air compressor, then this is the one, look no further. This air compressor is of Kensun quality. It has unique versatility and adaptable technology. This might be the best air compressor on our list. It can use a wall socket or a cigarette lighter. It is heavy duty with uses from A to Z. There is truly a use for this on almost every day of the year.
- angle-double-rightUniquely versatile
- angle-double-rightCan use both a wall and car socket
- angle-double-rightVery expensive
- angle-double-rightMore features than some need
- PREMIUM FEATURES – New 2019 Improved Air Compressor with powerful pump generating 38 l/min air-flow. Can inflate...
- VERY SIMPLE TO USE – Plug into your 12 Volt cigarette lighter socket or other 12 V outlet. Easily set pressure on...
- COMPACT ROBUST DESIGN - Compact design and Storage Case make it ideal for storage in your trunk. You never know...
More than just an inflator that fits in your trunk, this product is a whole auto store. Well, almost. It can certainly inflate your tires, but it also serves as a portable electric pump and digital pressure gauge.
- angle-double-rightWorks for cars, motorcycles, SUVs, RVs, ATVs.
- angle-double-rightComes with a storage bag
- angle-double-rightVery simple to use
- angle-double-rightLED can be too bright
- angle-double-rightSquare design
The warranty offered by P.I. provides less coverage than other examples on this list.
The air compressor that does the most on our list is surely the P.I. Auto Store Compressor. It has more features for the low to medium cost of the product. Although the warranty is a little less assuring than those offered by some other options on the list, there is more than one reason to buy this air compressor over the closest competition.