Everyone who likes working in the kitchen needs the best electric knife sharpener.
Did you know that in an 18-year period from 1990 to 2008, there were more than 900,000 people who were brought to emergency rooms for injuries related to kitchen knives?
And if you think that sharp knives are the culprit, you’re wrong. Dull knives are more dangerous than sharp ones because you need more force to cut your food.
What’s more, because of the extra push, it is more likely to slip and cause injuries. Sharp knives can bite the surface more readily, so there are fewer chances of it slipping.
Thankfully, you can rely on the best electric knife sharpener to help make things safer in the kitchen.
When Do You Need the Best Electric Knife Sharpener?
Fold the paper without creasing it and use the knife to slice it downward. If you get a clean cut, then put the best electric knife sharpener away: you won’t be needing it.
Similarly, if you cannot cut through the paper, or if it tears rather than get cut, then it will require sharpening.
If you have been using the knife for quite some time, you’d know when it’s time to sharpen it. You find yourself exerting more effort in cutting meat, and sometimes you don’t get a clean slice.
What to Look for in the Best Electric Knife Sharpener You Buy
So if you do need to sharpen knives, what characteristics should you look for in the best electric knife sharpener?
The best electric knife sharpener should be easy to use. These products use abrasive materials on motorized wheels.
These electric sharpeners also have guides. You only need to insert your knife into these slots and hold the knife lightly against these wheels.
Because of how it works, choose a product that doesn’t snag your knives, and do more damage.
Honing vs. sharpening
There are two things you can do to a knife that doesn’t cut as well as before. One is honing, which pushes the edges of the blade towards the center.
This action straightens the blades, rather than sharpen it.
Sharpening your knives involves grinding the blade so that you have a sharp edge. Some of the metal gets lost in the sharpening process.
The best electric knife sharpener will be able to hone and sharpen your knives, sometimes even doing it simultaneously. It will also be able to polish your knives.
The best electric knife sharpener: Its advantages over manual sharpeners
Manual knife sharpeners work well. However, it can be physically taxing to use. If you don’t want the hassle or if you’re pressed for time, then you should choose an electric knife sharpener.
What’s more, these products have very abrasive wheels. You also get angling guides that can help you achieve the degree of sharpness you want without the guesswork.
Two-stage or three-stage: Which one should you choose
As we have explained, the best electric knife sharpener can hone and sharpen your knives. When you’re looking for a knife sharpener, you will come across two- or three-stage varieties.
The first stage is for re-profiling the edges and making it straight. The second stage refines what the previous process was not able to smooth out.
Other products have a three-stage process, with the last one giving your knives a smoother edge than what is possible with two-stage knife sharpeners.
Which one is better? It depends on what kind of cutting you’re going to do. Go for a three-stage sharpener if you do more push-pull cutting, which is ideal for slicing or dicing vegetables.
Product blurbs also suggest that three-stage sharpeners also help protect the blade from getting dull quickly. As such, you don’t need to sharpen your knives as often.
However, some people prefer a two-stage knife sharpener. Because of the small teeth left on the blade, it’s easier to slice meat.
How We Chose Our Recommendations for the Best Electric Knife Sharpener
To complete our list of recommendations for the best electric knife sharpener, we researched several products that offer you a variety in terms of price, material, and brands, among others.
We also included both two-stage and three-stage knife sharpeners. These should be easy to use and can hone and sharpen knives, among other features.
Once we completed a shortlist of products, we checked each one on Amazon to make sure they are available. We also chose products that gave users more or less positive experiences.
The Best Electric Knife Sharpeners
So what is the best electric knife sharpener for you? We are confident that it is one of these products.
1. EdgeKeeper Electric Knife Sharpener
- SHARPEN IN THE CONVENIENCE OF YOUR HOME: This two stage sharpener quickly and easily sharpens almost any fine edge...
- SHARPEN AT THE PERFECT ANGLE: The slot angles position the knife at the ideal sharpening angle for perfect results...
- EASY TO CLEAN & LIMITS MESS: A removable magnet catches all metal shavings for easy maintenance and cleaning
The EdgeKeeper Electric Knife Sharpener is a two-stage buffer that allows you to easily sharpen at any angle. You just insert your knives or any other fine-edged blades into the guide slot.
This product comes in three colors: black, gray, and red. It features non-slip feet to keep you safe when you’re sharpening.
You will love the diamond-coated sharpening wheels that deliver the sharpness you want in your knives.
This sharpener is very easy to clean and is not a mess monster when you use it. It has a magnet that is strong enough to catch the metal shavings, instead of letting it all scatter.
This product is ideal for American style kitchen knives. You cannot use this product for serrated knives, ceramic knives, scissors, and sporting knives.
It is very compact, measuring only 8.3 by 3.5 by 4 inches.
2. Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional
- CONVERT YOUR KNIVES: Ideal for converting traditional 20-degree factory edges of household knives into high...
- DIAMONDS: Advanced stropping stage and 100 percent diamond abrasives for sharpening straight edge and serrated...
- EASY TO USE: Advanced, patented flexible spring guides for automatic adjustment and accurate control of the...
The sharpness of your knives is mostly dependent upon the angles of its edges. The narrower the angle, the sharper your knife is.
This product will whittle your traditional 20-degree blades into a smaller 15 degrees.
The Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional Electric Knife Sharpener uses diamonds to sharpen your knives. You can use it for both straight and serrated blades.
This three-stage sharpener gets your knives in shape. The first two stages sharpen and hone your blades, while the third stage polishes the edges.
The polishing makes your knives last longer before dulling. What’s more, the manufacturer offers a three-year limited warranty for this product.
However, this product only sharpens your knife’s blades to a 15-degree edge. You do not have the flexibility to sharpen it at any angle you want.
3. Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
- Easy 3-stage sharpening system for professional results at home, anytime.
- Sharpens kitchen and sport knives, even Santoku knives.
- Blade thickness selector adjusts guides to optimum sharpening angle.
The Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener can sharpen both kitchen and sports knives. It has an adjustable blade selector that can accommodate different blade thicknesses.
For instance, you can set it to thin for paring and fillet knives. The standard setting is for kitchen knives, and the thick setting is perfect for hunting knives.
This product gives you professional results at home. It’s also effortless to use.
This three-stage sharpener uses Sapphirite grinding wheels to hone and sharpen. It also has a fine-grit ceramic wheel that can polish the blades.
It comes with a one-year limited warranty.
4. Work Sharp Culinary E5 Kitchen Knife Sharpener
- Factory-sharp edges: The only kitchen knife sharpeners using flexible sharpening belts – the same method used by...
- Fast pre-programmed sharpening: the E5 sharpens your knives at the touch of a button in less than 90 seconds. Three...
- Sharpen any knife, any brand: designed to accommodate all the popular knife styles and brands from high-end exotic...
The Work Sharp Culinary E5 Kitchen Knife Sharpener can work on your knives in 90 seconds or less. You can use this product for any knife that you have, even kitchen scissors, serrated knives, and poultry shears.
It is preprogrammed to shape, sharpen, or hone your knives without you figuring out anything: you just put the knife into the slots, and you can shape, grind, or refine it in no time.
You don’t have to worry about cleaning up after sharpening because this product comes with a built-in vacuum that collects the metal shards.
This Work Sharp product might be one of the more expensive models you can find, but with all its features, it is well worth the money. What’s more, it comes with a ceramic honing rod that is very easy to use.
5. Grocery Art Electric Knife Sharpener
- ✅ 3-in-1 ELECTRIC SHARPENER: Amolador de Cuchillos / GA Knife Sharpener for kitchen, utility, folding, hunting...
- ✅ 2 STAGE MULTI-ANGLE KNIFE SHARPENER: Engineered to both hone and polish simultaneously, with in-built auto...
- ✅ SMALL & COMPACT SHARPENING MACHINE: Featuring a new patented design, our electric knife sharpener for home...
If you need something that can sharpen more than just knives, then you can consider the Grocery Art Electric Knife Sharpener. This product can also sharpen scissors, screwdrivers, and hunting knives.
This two-stage sharpener can give different angles to your knife’s edges. It’s effortless to use so you can stop fumbling with your old whetstone.
6. LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener
- QUICK, SIMPLE AND SAFE - Sharpen knives like a pro in the comfort of your home
- NO MISTAKES - Automatic blade positioning guides hold the knife in the ideal position, while heavy-duty non-slip...
- 2-STAGE SHARPENING - Stage 1 reshapes the angle, sharpens and rejuvenates the edge, while Stage 2 finishes the...
You will quickly think of three adjectives when you use the LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener: safe, quick, and straightforward. It is easy to get professional results even if it’s your first try with this product.
You don’t have to wonder if you are holding the knife right. There are guides here that make sure the blades are positioned correctly for the sharpness that you want.
You get a two-stage knife sharpening system that first reshapes the knife and then sharpens, hones, and polishes it. This product is also very easy to clean because of the receptacles that catch the metal filings.
7. Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition
- ADJUSTABLE SHARPENING GUIDE - produce precise edge bevels from 15° to 30°. motor- 120Vac/1. 5 amp. Duty cycle-1...
- VARIABLE SPEED MOTOR - handle every sharpening task, from grinding to honing. More power with improved cooling &...
- PREMIUM FLEXIBLE ABRASIVE BELTS - deliver a strong, long lasting razor-sharp convex edge
The Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition has an adjustable sharpening guide that allows you to sharpen edges from 15 degrees to 30 degrees.
This product also has an adjustable speed motor that can handle everything from honing to grinding. It also comes with top-quality abrasive belts that make sharpening easy. You can get precise, fast, and repeatable results.
Get the Best Electric Knife Sharpener and Be Safer in the Kitchen
Who would have thought that having dull knives can be dangerous on top of being frustrating to use? Fortunately, you don’t have to risk getting your fingers or hands injured while cooking with the best electric knife sharpener.
Most of these products have two- or three-stage processes that hone, shape, sharpen, and polish your knives. Some can even handle larger and thicker knives, tools, and even screwdrivers.
Are you finally putting an end to using dull and dangerous knives at home? Tell us which one of these products you’re buying in the comments below.
Last update on 2021-08-01 at 23:06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API