When we bought our house, we discovered our tap water had so much chlorine in it, you could wash your gym socks in it without soap! And while that's great for laundry, I sure didn’t want my young children drinking it. So, the first purchase we made for our new home was the best under-counter water filter we could afford.
The last decade has seen a boom in bottled water sales. And with foul-tasting water like ours, there may be good reason. However, the idea of creating more plastic for landfills wasn’t my idea of responsible adulthood.
Are You Getting What You Paid For?
Our addiction to bottled water isn’t just stuffing our landfills. It also costs us an arm and a leg. According to the International Bottled Water Association (IBWA), the average cost of bottled water in 2016 was $1.11 per gallon. That doesn't sound bad.
But what's the cost of water from your faucet?
Less than a penny per gallon, usually!
But Tap Water is Icky
Most people drink bottled water because they prefer the taste. At least, that’s the reason they give. Sadly, marketing influences on our perceptions more than we’d like to believe.
Even more ironic, some bottled water companies get their product from the same place that you should: the tap.
So, aside from a big marketing budget, what’s the big difference?
Filtering. Most bottled water brands are just filtered tap water, packaged in bottles for convenience.
So, why not beat them at their own game with the best under-counter water filter?
What Is an Under-Counter Water Filter
An under-counter water filter is a "point of use” filter, sometimes called an under-sink filter. They're highly efficient and convenient, and many models include a dedicated faucet to distinguish it from your regular tap water.
Who Needs the Best Under-Counter Water Filter?
So, you’ve decided to save money – and the planet – by drinking filtered tap water. That’s great news. But you may wonder why you’d want the best under-counter filter. Why not a whole-house system?
For that matter, why not stay under budget with a faucet water filter?
Choosing an under-counter model allows you to decide how much water gets filtered.
While even the best under-counter water filter isn’t expensive, the filter media has a limited life span. After installation, you’ll need to replace the filter regularly. So, the cost can add up if you’re not discerning about its use.
If your municipal water is safe, why filter water to wash the dishes?
The problem is compounded with a whole-house filter. Do you really want to pay to filter water for the dishwasher or to hose down the patio?
The best under-counter water filter gives you a dedicated supply of fresh, crisp, and delicious drinking water that matches any bottled brand for taste. And it sure won’t cost you $1.11 per gallon!
How We Reviewed
To identify the best under-counter water filter options on the market, we’ve compared features and specifications. We also consulted with professional consumer advocates like Consumer Reports, as well as home improvement experts.
And last, but not least, we’ve looked at consumer feedback placed on numerous retail sites and public forums.
Our goal is to compare the efficiency and level of customer satisfaction for popular water filters to identify the best of the current models.
Product Comparison Table
The 10 Best Under-Counter Water Filters
We’ve presented several options to choose from, so you’ll see the best under-counter water filter models at different price points. However, we’ve listed them in no particular order.
1. Multipure MP750SB
- This model includes a below sink installation kit, allowing it to be attached to a cabinet wall below the sink with...
- The two quick connect fittings accept 1/4" flexible tubing. The kit includes 36" of 1/4" clear, flexible tubing.
- The kit also includes the Adapta Valve, which connects to your cold water supply, along with 36" of 3/8" tubing to...
Consumer Reports gave the Multipure MP750SB its highest rating, calling it the best under-counter water filter for efficiency. It received top marks for removing lead and chloroform with good flow-rate and few clogs.
Best of all, installation is easy with quick-connect fittings and 1/4-inch tubing included. You’ll also get a mounting bracket for under-the-sink installation,
The system works with CB6 filters, solid carbon blocks with exceptional filtering performance and NSF 42, 53, and 401 certifications. Filters last for about a year or 750 gallons of filtration, whichever comes first.
Buyers love the Mulitpure MP750SB. Many laud its performance, including the improvements in their water and its excellent flow rate.
On the downside, you’ll need to purchase a faucet separately for your sink.
2. Aqua-Pure AP-DWS1000
- CLEANER WATER: Reduces particulate, chlorine taste and odor, lead, turbidity, parasitic protozoan cysts, volatile...
- CARBON-BLOCK FILTRATION: Advanced dual stage carbon-block filtration process to help provide cleaner, clearer...
- EASY TO REPLACE: Sanitary Quick Change (SQC) cartridge design helps provide fast and easy cartridge change-outs of...
Another favorite from the Consumer Reports lab, this Aqua-Pure under-sink water filter removes particulate matter and chlorine. It can filter out volatile organic compounds (VOCs), lead, and parasites.
It features carbon block filtration, with dual filters. Best of all, the cartridges are easy to change.
The compact profile doesn’t eat up under-counter space, either, which makes it one of the best under-counter water filters for kitchens with limited storage.
It comes with all necessary installation hardware, including a polished chrome faucet.
Customers complimented this filter's performance, saying it delivered delicious, pure water. However, a few had trouble with installation.
3. APEC WFS-1000
- High quality, designed, engineered and assembled in the USA; System built with US MADE super capacity filters for...
- Guaranteed to remove chemicals (i.e. chlorine), taste and odors. NOT designed for TDS removal
- Premium long-lasting filters used to treat tap water, well water. Provide unlimited refreshing water
This customer-favorite is blowing other brands out of the water with high ratings on home improvement store sites. The APEC WFS-1000 is a three-stage sediment and carbon block filter system with high-capacity inline filters that last 12 months.
The first filter stage removes sediment with a high-capacity polypropylene filter. The second and third filter stages remove chlorine and VOCs.
Professional reviewers gave it high scores for removing lead and chlorine, while still delivering a reasonable flow rate. While they found it wasn't efficient at removing minerals that affect taste, they still rated it a good value.
Customers, however, love it and found installation easy.
4. American Plumber WLCS-1000
- Reduces chemicals including Trihalomethane, pesticides, and herbicides
- Reduces lead, mercury, chlorine taste & odor, bad taste & odor, fine sediment, and is NSF/ANSI standard 53...
- Filter life monitor - lights and sound tell you when to change filter cartridges
This is the best under-counter water filter for homeowners who want dual filtration on a budget. It delivers excellent filtration at a reasonable cost. The American Plumber WLCS-1000 removes pesticides and herbicides, along with lead and mercury. You’ll get pure drinking water without that chlorine taste and smell.
It also has an alarm that lets you know when it’s time to change the filter with LED indicator lights.
You’ll get all the accessories you need to install it, although some buyers suggested you check your existing setup and order any necessary adapters.
Consumer Reports gives this one a big thumbs up for filtration but were less impressed with the flow rate. However, happy customers say it’s perfectly adequate.
5. Frizzlife MK99
- ✔Two-stage Advanced Water Purifier With 0.5 Micron: The Frizzlife MK99 Water Filtration System includes a...
- ✔Fits both 1/2" and 3/8" cold water line: Super Easy Installation. Come with 3/8" Directly Connect hoses that fit...
- ✔Best Auto Shut Off Design: Utilizing quick change twist-in installation design makes it take less than 3 minutes...
Every once in a while, a new company delivers something really unique. The Frizzlife MK99 isn’t a household name, but customers love its simple installation. They also love that it fits both 1/2-inch and 3/8-inch water supply lines and takes only three minutes to install.
You’ll get two-stage filtering in a compact filter unit. So, it’s perfect for small kitchens and renters because it works without mounting to the cabinet.
The Frizzlife MK99 removes particles up to 0.5 microns, as well as lead, chlorine, mercury, and VOCs. But the MK99 doesn't remove essential minerals from your tap water.
Best of all, it's eco-friendly. Instead of tossing an entire plastic assembly, you just remove and replace the filter media. So, not only is it economically responsible, but it's also environmentally responsible.
And the filter media last up to 1,600 gallons.Buyers love their MK99 and say installation was easy. They say that it makes the best under-counter water filter every bit as affordable as a pitcher filter.
6. iSpring RCC7AK
- Certified to NSF/ANSI 58, 6-Stage Alkaline Remineralization Layered Filtration: Exclusively designed to restore the...
- BENEFITS: The iSpring RCC7AK water softener includes an additional sixth stage - an Alkaline Remineralization...
- FEATURES: Beautiful European-Style kitchen faucet. Transparent 1st stage housing for easy visual inspection. Three...
Convinced that reverse osmosis (RO) is the way to go? The iSpring RCC7AK is a six-stage reverse osmosis system with a remineralization stage.
The iSpring both softens and filters your water, removing nearly all chlorine, lead, and VOCs. It also removes pharmaceuticals, asbestos, and fluoride.
However, to restore your water’s alkalinity and improve taste, the system remineralizes the water after filtration.
It comes with mounting hardware, clear instructions, and helpful installation videos. You’ll also get lifetime customer support and a one-year warranty.
Professional reviewers complemented its high capacity and excellent flow-rate. They also noted that the average DIY homeowner could install it in about an hour.
Customers love with their iSpring, saying it’s the best under-counter water filter they’ve ever had. Although installing an RO system can be intimidating, the company's support and instructions exceeded expectations.
7. PureDrop CUW4 Aquacube
- [Healthier & better-tasting water]: The superior 4-stage multipurpose undersink water filtration system with its 0....
- [Efficient and convenient]: Enjoy a faster water flow (0. 32-0. 5 GPM vs 0. 03 GPM with traditional reverse osmosis...
- [Easy Installation and Maintenance]: Cut hassles, not corners with a typical installation time of less than 30...
This four-stage filtering system doesn’t just work efficiently, it also looks fabulous. The cube design of the PureDrop CUW4 looks stylish and makes installation simple. The installation features click-on connections, so you can get it up and running in about 30 minutes.
It filters down to 0.01 microns with its Ultra Filtration (UF) stage and removes up to 99 percent of contaminants like chlorine, lead, arsenic, and bacteria.
It comes with stainless steel installation parts, along with a stylish-looking dedicated with chrome finish.
Buyers agree that the PureDrop is the best under-counter water filter because of its ease of installation. Another selling point is its Ultra Fine filter, which makes it more efficient than carbon, without the water waste of a reverse osmosis system.
8. Woder WD-4K-DC
- WQA CERTIFIED - to NSF/ANSI 42 for Chlorine, taste, odor and NSF/ANSI 372 for lead free compliance as verified and...
- USA MADE UNDER SINK WATER FILTER. Advanced Selective Filtration Technology removes 99.9% of contaminants while it...
- NO PLUMBING REQUIRED – Comes with ‘Direct Connect’ hoses that fit standard 3/8” water valves under US...
Having filtered drinking water at your kitchen sink is one of life’s little bonuses. But wouldn’t it be great if you could get the best under-counter water filter for your bathroom sink too?
If you live in a large or multistory home, you may not your small children wandering around in the middle of the night looking for the proverbial drink of water.
Enter the Woder WD-4K-DC, an ultra-high-capacity water filter that delivers clean drinking water at your bathroom sink.
And, it still removes up to 99.9 percent of contaminants like chlorine, mercury, lead, glyphosate, and VOCs.
Best of all, it doesn’t require any plumbing work for installation. You just screw it into your sink cold water supply line using the 3/8-inch standard hoses on either side of the filter case.
It’s certified NSF 42 to chlorine, taste, and odor, and NSF 372 for lead removal.
And get this – it has a life span of 3 years or 4,000 gallons.
9. APEC Water Systems CS-2500
- Supreme quality – designed, engineered and assembled in USA with US made filter, highest trustful filtration...
- Removing lead, chlorine, heavy metals, taste, odor and chemicals while leaving various minerals, like calcium,...
- Bacteriostatic for the reduction of heterotropic bacteria.
This compact filter is another winner from APEC. The CS-2500 is an inline filter that you hook up under the sink. Screw the standard 3/8-inch fittings directly to your cold water line.
It removes more than 90 percent of lead and heavy metals along with over 97 percent of chlorine taste and odors. It also features a bacteriostatic filter to reduce VOCs.
This simplified model hooks up inline with your regular cold water feed, and the filter lasts about 12 months or up to 5,000 gallons.
Customers who purchased it said it was the best under-counter water filter for those who want an unlimited supply of clean water at their kitchen sink for cooking, cleaning, and more.
10. CuZn UC-200
- Incredible Capacity and Lifespan, Up to 5 Years per Filter; CuZn Backs the UC-200’s Long Lasting Performance With...
- Simple to Install; The UC-200 is Designed for Direct Connect to the main Kitchen Sink Cold Water Line; No Drilling...
- 3 Stage Filtration Process Utilizing Micro Sediment Membranes, KDF-55 and Coconut Shell Carbon; the UC-200 Will Not...
This ultra-high capacity water filter boasts a life span of 5 years or 50,000 gallons. It features three stages of filtration, including a micro-sediment filter, a KDF-55 filter, and a coconut shell carbon filter.
This simplified filter installs directly to your cold water line in just a few minutes with a wrench. Best of all, if you want to connect it to a dedicated faucet, the company will send you an install kit at no cost. How’s that for customer service?
CuZn gets overwhelming support from happy customers, not just for the excellence of the product but because their customer service is above and beyond.
Which Is the Best Under-Counter Water Filter for You?
For most of us, budget dictates the products we ultimately purchase. That’s why we’ve tried to include great models at a wide range of price points.
But other factors come into play as well. Easy of installation, the life span of the filter, and other variables may level the field.
You may want to test your water before choosing a system. That way, you can choose the right filter for you. If your water is relatively clean, you may only want an NSF 42 filter for improved taste. If you’re concerned about lead and heavy metals, look for systems with NSF 732 certifications. For fluoride removal, you'll need an RO system.
Which contaminants in your drinking water most concern you? Have you used an inline water filter before? Tell us about your experience in the comments.
Last update on 2021-04-18 at 20:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API