Although buying the best battery for diesel trucks seems easy enough, it is more complex than it might seem. There is quite a bit that goes into finding and buying the correct battery for your diesel truck. Weather, climate, age, and power rating all factor into purchasing the best battery for diesel truck types. The wrong battery has a severely shortened lifespan and can leave you stranded at the worst possible time. Worst-case scenario, it does damage to the electrical system of your truck.
Comparison of the Best Battery for Diesel Truck
Buying the best battery for diesel truck types is not difficult when you know what you are doing. If you have the original maintenance and operations guide, then it is easy. All you have to do is look up the type, size, and style of battery that you need and purchase it. Unfortunately, in the case of used vehicles or older vehicles, you will need to find out what kind of battery you need. To find the best battery for diesel truck types, you will need to know a few things first.
1. How Do Diesel Truck Batteries Work?
Diesel truck batteries work by providing the electrical charge necessary to crank the starter. When the starter cranks, the truck starts. This is a simplified explanation.
2. Why Is it Important to Find the Best Battery for Diesel Truck Types?
It is important to find the right battery for battery life, safety, and the function of the truck. The wrong battery could damage your truck and cause you to be stranded with a truck that will not start.
3. What Do You Need to Look for to Find the Best Battery for Diesel Trucks?
There are several things that you need to look at when finding the best battery for a diesel truck or any vehicle for that matter. You will need to know the size of your battery, the post configuration, the reserve capacity, and the number of cold cranking amps. The brand of battery does not really matter as long as you choose a brand that has the features you need and want. Sometimes the best battery for diesel trucks is the battery the truck manufacturer recommends.
4. Where Can You Buy Them?
You can buy the best battery for diesel trucks online, in automotive stores, in big-box retailer stores, and in specialty battery stores.
5. Where Can you Find Help to Identify the Best Battery for Diesel Truck Types?
There are a few places you can begin your search to find out which is the best truck battery for your make and model diesel truck. You can look at the specifications online, ask a professional to help you, or use the computer provided by many stores that sell diesel truck batteries.
How We Reviewed
We came up with this list by comparing the size, style, features, and reputations of several companies and battery types. In doing this we discovered that the best battery for diesel trucks is not exclusive to one brand. Each of the following diesel batteries has its own merits and problems. Each battery was reviewed and tested for its ability to suit diesel trucks of all varieties. This does not mean that you should ignore the specifications recommended by your vehicle's manufacturer. We did this to find the best battery for diesel trucks.
What We Reviewed
Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery
- Cold Crank Amp (CCA)- 850;Dimensions L x W x H (in):10.85x6.76x7.82. Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA)-1500
- Better warranty: Limited 3 and 4 year full replacement warranty - not pro rata
- Longer service life: With 3-10 years of service life, ODYSSEY batteries save consumers time, money, and aggravation
The Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV battery has 850 cold cranking amps and 1500 hot cranking amps, a 3 to 10-year service life, and a 70 percent longer cycle than many deep cycle batteries. It also comes with an extended warranty as well as fast recharge technology and vibration resistant features.
Three to four-year limited warranty. It is important to save the receipt and other paperwork in order to receive credit on the warranty.
Optima Batteries 8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 43.5 pounds, Dual SAE & GM Post
- Reserve capacity of 120 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather. Case Material: Polypropylene.Internal Resistance: 0.0028
The Optima Batteries 8014-045/78 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery is a feature rich battery. This battery is a 12 volt, 750 cold cranking amp battery with a reserve capacity of 120 minutes. It is specifically designed to handle all forms of cold weather and is vibration resistant.
36 Month limited warranty with the receipt.
Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 Redtop Starting Battery
- 12-Volt, 720 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 9.38 x 7.69 x 6.75-Inches Weight: 31.7 pounds, SAE Posts
- Reserve capacity of 90 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather. Case material is Polypropylene
The Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 Redtop Starting Battery is a 12-volt car battery with 750 cold cranking amps. It features the same vibration resistance and optimal starting power in inclement weather that others do. It also has a reserve capacity for 90 minutes of constant performance. It also has a spiral cell design for safety and environmental protection. This is a maintenance free battery,
This battery has a 36-month warranty.
ACDelco 48AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 48 Battery
- High density negative paste, improves performance and increases battery life
- Enhanced life alloy/Silver Calcium stamped alloy increases cycle life and improves performance
- Calcium lead positive grid, maximizes conductivity and allows for low resistance
ACDelco is a GM company that provides professional automotive batteries. They are used in OEM operation in the GM fleet. The ACDelco 48AGM Automotive BCI Group 48 Battery has an extended life and is considered to be 100 percent leak and spill proof. Its overall design is built to make sure that the battery does not leak or pollute the environment.
This battery has a 36-month free replacement limited warranty.
Odyssey 31-PC2150S Heavy Duty Commercial Battery
- Cold Crank Amp (CCA)- 1150; Better warranty: Limited 3 and 4 year full replacement warranty – not pro rata;...
- Longer cycle life: 70 percentage longer cycle life compared to conventional deep cycle batteries, up to 400 cycles...
- Faster recharge: The highest recharge efficiency of any sealed lead battery on the market, capable of 100...
The Odyssey 31-PC2150S is a commercial battery. It is heavier and more powerful than many others in this class. It has a total of 1150 cold cranking amps and 70 percent longer cycle life. It is also built to be resistant to both impact and mechanical vibrations. It is also weather resistant to -40 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit.
This battery has a three to four-year replacement warranty.
DieHard 38188 Group Advanced Gold AGM Battery GP 34R
- 20X more vibration protection safeguards battery performance over time, 2X the cycle life extends the performance...
- BCI Gp 34R, CCA 775, RC 120 minutes, 55 AH rating
- Spill proof design provides added protection for sophisticated electronic equipment
The DieHard 38188 Group Advanced Gold Battery is an older brand favorite. It features advanced vibration protection, 775 cold cranking amps, and full frame positive and negative plates. It also is less expensive than many of its competitor batteries.
The warranty information can be obtained from the manufacturer of this battery.
Optima Batteries 8027-127 D27M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Marine Battery
- Pure lead spiralcell design allows for lead to be used in its purest form.C20 Capacity:66 Ah
- Spiralcell technology for superior vibration resistance and extended life
- Solid cast cell connections for increased durability and maximum plate height
The Optima Batteries 8027-127 D27M BlueTop battery functions as a starting battery and a deep cycle marine battery. It has 800 cold cranking amps and the spiral design that Optima Batteries has become known for. The solid cast cells help to increase durability and plate height. It has vibration resistance and extended life. The reserve capacity on it is 140 minutes.
This battery has a 24 month replacement period from Amazon.
Yuasa YUAM2655B Lead_Acid_Battery
- 6 Volt, 5.5 amp-hour battery
- Polypropylene case and cover has superior resistance to gasoline and oil, withstands extreme weather conditions
- Poly-seal terminal seal eliminates acid seepage reducing corrosion and extending battery life
The Optima Batteries 8006-006-FFP 34M BlueTop Marine Starting Battery is an 800 cold cranking amp battery that weighs less than many other comparable batteries. It has a reserve capacity of a respectable 100 minutes. Like other Optima Batteries, it has powerful vibration resistant technology.
The standard voltage of this batter is 120 volts.
24-month replacement program when purchased through Amazon
Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT Automotive and LTV Battery
The Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT Automotive and LTV Battery has a respectable 850 cold cranking amps with a voltage rating of 12. It also has a service life of three to ten years. It is capable of maintaining a high level of voltage for longer periods of time. It only takes four to six hours to recharge back to 100 percent which is less time than many of its comparable competitors. Despite its flexible mounting options, it has very little spillage or leakage.
For warranty information, you will need to contact the manufacturer.
Optima Batteries 8003-151 34R RedTop Starting Battery
- 12-Volt, 800 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 37.9 pounds, SAE Post
- Reserve capacity of 100 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather. Internal Resistance:0.003
The Optima Batteries 8003-151 34R RedTop Starting battery has an impressive 800 cold cranking amps and 12 volts. It is also one of the lighter batteries described here. It is vibration resistant as well as sturdy and spillage resistant. The reserve capacity allows for 100 minutes of continuous use. As an Optima battery, it utilizes the same spiral technology as the others from this manufacturer do.
This battery has a 36 month replacement period for manufacturers defects and other limited problems.
These are the best battery for diesel trucks. Each of these has its own merits. It is important to follow your vehicle's specifications regarding electrical output, cycle time, and amperage to avoid costly electrical issues. Although there are many other batteries and brands, these particular batteries are capable of working in almost any diesel truck. Which you choose ultimately depends on your truck's needs and the number of electronics you have.
If you have a truck with few or no electrical enhancements, you will want one that is less expensive and has fewer cold cranking amps. If your truck contains a lot of electronics such as electronic braking and suspensions or premium sound systems, then you will need one of the batteries with more power when the vehicle and battery are cold. When selecting the battery for your truck, be sure to consider things like climate and road conditions. Many of these batteries come in either cold weather or hot weather variations.
These brands are rated the best and have fewer negative points than others in this category. Compare your truck specifications with each of the batteries in this list to find the right one at the price that works for you.
Last update on 2021-01-20 at 07:45 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API